May 15, 2008

Barefoot Education

Spring is finally here I think. There have been flowers everywhere for weeks, but today is the first day when it feels like spring weather. It’s just perfect outside. So after feeding my children lunch, in which Wild Thing ate half a cupcake in one bite (at the end, that wasn’t the nutritional part of his lunch), I took them outside to get them some outdoor education.

Ready? Begin! Shoes OFF! Hose ON! Grass IN THE MOUTH! (Wild Thing only.)

They slid down the slide about a million times, until my arms ached from hefting them back to the top. The swinged and swung for forever and Ladybug showed me how she can pump (she can’t really, but I acted impressed anyway). Then we grabbed the hose to water some newly planted, well, plants, and that was the best. Ladybug manned the controls, and was working on her aim. It was hit and miss --- hit Wild Thing and miss the plants. With the water, I mean. But he was having a blast too. So it was good fun for an hour. Everyone cried when it was time to come in for naps. By everyone, I mean everyone except me, of course. Now they are sleeping quietly. Or at least I can’t hear their singing/hollering from this end of the house. But I feel good that they have begun their barefoot education.

I’m trying to feel good about all the changes in our lives, and today it is easy. And I’m trying not to be nervous about all the changes that are going to be happening. That part is hard. But I am reminded of this verse:

Let the peace that comes from Christ control your thoughts. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15

And

Peace I leave you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

So, I’ll take that instruction. I will be at peace. And I will be thankful. Because the God who created the whole universe still holds it all together in His hands. And, cheesy though it may sound, my life does not hang in the balance. It rests in the hand of Jesus. And that's certainly something to feel peace about.

No comments: