May 29, 2008

Good night, no more talking.

Ladybug and I have a routine when I put her to bed. Not the get-jammies-on-brush-your-teeth-go-potty-read-seven-books routine, although we do that also. It goes like this.

Me: Ladybug, it’s time go to bed now.

Her: Ok, let’s turn on my sleeping music.

Me: Let’s put you in bed now.

Her: I just want to snuggle for a minute.

We snuggle. She kisses me goodnight. I lay her in her bed.

Her: Don’t forget to put two blankets on me. Don’t forget to pray for me.

I pray for her.

Her: Pray for me two times.

I pray for her again.

As I’m walking out of her room, I say “Good-night Ladybug.”

Her: Goodnight

Me: Sleep tight.

Her: Ok.

Me: I love you.

Her: I love you.

Me: No more talking.

Her: Ok!

One night I forgot to say “No more talking.” She sat up in bed and said indignantly, “You forgot to say no more talking!” Then we had to start all over again from the snuggling part. Not that I’m complaining. I love snuggling with her. I love the weight and the warmth of her in my arms, and I love how her arms wrap around my neck and her head nestles against my shoulder and I can bury my nose in her sweet smelling hair. She is delicious. Is it clear how much I adore her?

I didn’t consciously make this a routine of ours. It just happened. And it makes me wonder how many other things I do that my children depend on? Besides the obvious – you know, taking care of them and loving them. Are routines good? Do they create security? Or are they rigid and create children who are inflexible to other ways of doing things? Should I write them down so that, if I’m not here, their dad can take over?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Routines are good. I think they create security.