April 7, 2008

The Mercy Project

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. We’re not that fancy here at the Mercy Project – truth is, I have nothing to be real fancy about! My life is a lot like that of any other. I have a family; I have a business; I have a home. I have a spouse, children, and no pets. And I’ve agonized about this first blog post for a couple days now. Why is that??

And why call it the Mercy Project? Because that about sums up my life. When I look in the mirror in the morning, aside from seeing a person that needs a haircut, I see a woman in need of mercy. I’m like anyone else in that I try to get it right and mess up a lot of the time. I love my husband, but sometimes I can be critical and intolerant. I adore my children, but sometimes I’m cranky and impatient. I like my work and enjoy keeping house, but can be lazy and irresponsible.

Webster’s defines mercy the following way: a compassion or forbearance; a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion; compassionate treatment of those in distress.

Sounds nice, doesn’t it? Sounds like something I need – compassion and forbearance for sure! But it also sounds like something I want to be. I would love if my grown children would fondly remember their mother’s compassionate care, rather than her impatience and crankiness.

I like this verse, from Titus 3, “God our Savior showed us how good and kind he is. He saved us because of his mercy, and not because of any good things that we have done.” That’s me all right – the “not because of any good things that we have done” part. I try hard. I really do. But measured up against perfection, I’m not sure I show up on the scale at all.

So welcome. I’m glad you’ve joined me as I become acquainted with mercy, in the daily and in the divine. This is my journey. It’s an exercise of faith. A reconciliation of love. Awash in mercy.

No comments: